October 3, 2013

A long awaited close to 2013. A season of learning and growth



Stach Watts

In my opinion 2013 feels like it has been the longest season of my cycling career. This season would end up being my 6th season since beginning racing back in 2007, as well as my 2nd season on team Super Squadra. My goals for the season would be to improve upon the great 2012 I had. I knew that I would be capable of it. My winter training before the season was flawless and my motivation for racing was the highest it has ever been. I finished 2012 with some great results to my name. Including an 8th at my first u23 national road race, 4th at Pro states, u23 state champ, and the youngest winner of the Fayetteville stage race.

Going into the first few races of the season I could feel that my form was where I wanted it to be. I was also the lightest I have ever been; losing 10 pounds in the off-season was something new I had put my mind towards. I would be showing up to the start of this season: Strong, fit, healthy, and handsome (moustache watts).

Two up sprint for my first win of season.
Started off 2013 on a good note.

Season started off on a low point, first race of the year had a flat in the Tour of New Braunfels. I took myself to the sidelines and watched my team complete the race. My hunger to race only intensified. Early season success came quickly. I got my first win of the season in a collegiate road race setting school history for the University of Houston by winning a men’s A race. The following weekend was Walburg and Pacebend, I found myself getting in the winning move on both days. Between the two races I found myself with a 3rd and a 6th place. With a win and two top tens I knew that 2013 would be a great year. Fast forward to the driveway spring classic, the last race that put me in a top result before going downhill. Somehow we were able to stack the 5-man break with 3 super squadra racers… Shane ended up taking the win, I was able to get fifth. After crossing the line I felt a little bit of pain in my lower back. I pain that would only manifest itself into something that would end up putting me out of any chances of top results until the Houston Grand several months later.

During the peak of my back pain I could hardly move… putting on shoes turned into a hassle of its own. Riding was not happening and I was not able to finish races. This happened throughout my favorite part of the season. I could not defend Fayetteville, I was not able to help my team in races, and my motivation was going away. It was not till I started an extensive series of dry needling and seeing a chiropractor for several weeks till I was able to finally get back on my feet and ride again. My first real result since Pacebend happened in my home turf. I was able to get a second place in the Houston Grand. A race in front of all my friends in the city that I get to call home. I knew that this marked a point in my season where I can finally put my back pain behind me. Moving forward from the Houston Grand the most important part of my season would begin… my summer travels. My motivation and excitement finally renewed on the road. Ahead of me, I had Tulsa Tough, Tour of America’s Dairyland, Nationals, Cascade, and a USA Cycling camp where I would be a coach.

Going through my summer my luck and results were strained. Flats and just not being where I needed to be allowed me to not a single result for the entirety of the summer. Although I did take experiences away from these high level races that would only make me grow more as an aspiring cyclist. I was making friends and contacts along the way that could only help me grow more in this sport

Shane and I spent more time together this summer
then he would have like'd ;)
I would end up coming back from my summer worn, torn, and demotivated. “Not one single result this entire summer. This was supposed to be my time to expand on last year,” I would tell my teammates. All they would say to me is that sometimes luck is part of it. I was able to go through the fall part of the season fairly quickly. Although I could not get results on my own, I could help my teammates get theirs. Relief did not come till I was able to raise my arms on the podium of the u23 state road race. I was able to defend my title, through the miracle of teammates. My flats went full circle this season. I started the season with one, and I almost ended it with one. However Shane was able to give me his own wheel with the trust that I could defend my title. This trust pushed me across the line to finish 2013.

Despite my eight flats this season, (New Braunfels, Fayetteville, Matrix, Bear Creek, Tulsa, National Criterium, State Road Race, Chapple Hill) I could take a lot from this season. I could take things such as the experiences I learned in races like Cascade, the impact I made in the lives of younger cyclists like at the USA camp, and just not giving up when at one point I could not walk because of cycling. I was able to get through it all.

Now As I sit here in stacks of homework and text messages from friends, I am going to go into the offseason knowing that I was not able to give it my all this season. I am going to better myself in every way in 2014. I plan to look at 2013 as a speed bump in my plans and go on with ambitions to be the best cyclist I can be. But in all seriousness I could not have done anything without my teammates being there. That goes out to David, Ian, Shane, Alec, Kevin, Phil, and Steven. I also could not have done anything without my family, sponsors, and friends.


The A team (Shane, Steven, Phil, David, Me. from left to right)

2 comments: