January 15, 2014

#pincusmiles2014 A Winter Spent Preparing for the Next Chapter

Such a beautiful day
I never thought that my friends would give my own hash tag. It started in the off season of the 2012 when Kenneth Day tagged me with #pincusmiles2013 on his twitter after he came down and rode with me for a few days during my winter break. My friends are familiar with my off-season antics. Typically once I get out of school for winter break I stack on miles like it is going out of style, and it was no different this winter. I know that once the semester starts I become quite limited in my time and devotion I can give to the bike.  I am happy that Ken Day, Jonah Tannos, Jason Codianne, Jason Bentley, and Gavin Mannion all got to go on nice one on one bro rides with me. I am sure I talked for hours on end and you all got a nice dose of my life stories and adventures to last you till next time.


Saw a handful of friends who
go to school out of state this
past break (Shaina!)
This Christmas break has been a consistent one compared to previous years. However I have found myself way busier then in past years. Part of this has to do with the fact that I enrolled myself in a winter class for a handful of reasons. It would boost my GPA, it would knock out a humanities course and It would bring my total hours above 15 for the first half of the year. (I’m on an academic scholarship and need 30 total hours a year to keep it). This winter class would end up taking up the majority of my free time. Between four essays, five exams, and a discussion post every day if not every other day I found myself unable to hang out with my friends the way I wanted. But in hindsight I am glad I got through it and with an ‘A’

I am happy though to have gotten some of the most consistent cycling I have ever gotten in a winter period. That being said, I am also sure I got in more cycling then probably any other area of the country based on what I have been seeing on the weather channel. My break started off really well with time spends with friends and family. However  I feel like I spent the majority of my time on the road getting in some great miles. I know that every single big day I get in on the bike now will help me get through a hard spring semester ahead.

The break started with a nice trip to Austin, which I wrote about HERE. After that weekend of time spend in Austin I devoted almost all my time in between training and my winter class. Although I was on break I felt like I never got away from school. Timing rides around essay and exam dates is something I do all year already and I did not want to keep doing it this winter.
potential semester schedule for the spring
As the winter progressed I found myself really devoted to spending my time on the bike and on my laptop writing essays. Although I would rather be with friends I spent a lot of time just thinking. Thinking a lot about where I am heading down the road in my life and I am really excited to be in the position I am in. It is really exciting to know that this spring I will be waving the Pearland/Houston flag in the domestic professional peloton. Something that I feel like has not been done for a while. I am also still going to be a full time student at the University of Houston as I finally get into what will be my major specific classes.
This was the last day of break before
classes the next day
(70 degrees and sunny)


It has been awesome to see how much of a positive impact I have made in my local cycling scene. I have never gotten so many congratulations from my friends on the road this winter. Not just for my team signing but also for just being a positive and helpful force on group rides. Even the fact that I am staying in school full time with my new team is also a reason many people has been saying how excited they are for me. Not too many young people I know are racing at continental level while still being a full time student at a university, and this could not have been made possible without the flexibility Astellas is giving me as we work a schedule around school and my exams.  I  also could not have gotten this far in my life cycling and school wise without the help and support of my family and friends. It has been quite a journey so far and I plan to make the most of it as I continue forward in my degree plan as well as my cycling aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment