June 14, 2014

Racing in the corn fields at the Cobb Park Criterium

Thomas, Cory, Justin, Myself and Monk (Brandon) reeling in the leaders
Located in Kankakee, Illinois, the Cobb Park Criterium is a prominent regional race within the “Windy City.”  This year it was hosted by the South Chicago Wheelmen Cycling team, as well as, the parents of one of our very own...Brandon! 


This not being an NCC event, we all expected a fairly easy race here at Cobb Park; however, many of the racers from Glencoe were thinking the same exact thing. Consequently, many of the heavy hitters who raced hard last night made the trip south for another couple hours of Criterium racing.

4 Corners and Daddy Issues. This race looked so easy on paper. Yet, I was never so far from being correct.  Right from the start, I felt like I was dropped off at 9000 ft and could not get a full breath of air. The pollen was on another level. It was literally stinging my lungs. I did what I could to get to the front and help Brandon out. But my legs were not there. Unlike yesterday where I felt like I could go with any attack at any given time, I was hanging on trying to find my mojo. With about 30 laps to go, I tried to take myself off the back. But something was not letting me go. I took a moment to collect myself before I finally made some moves to get back into the fight.


There was a break that ended up going up the road with no one from Astellas in it. We brought the team to the front and started to bring back pack leaders. When we got to the front, it was 2 laps too late. From an out-of-sight out-of-mind 40 second gap, we were only able to bring back the leaders to a touchable 15 seconds by the final lap. Luckily, we were able to keep Brandon in a position to get 2nd in the field sprint. Paying Result $$$ Dolla Dolla Bill Y’all.

Our winnings were donated back to the South ChicagoWheelman for further Jr development… I mean, they did get Brandon this far in his cycling career!

No comments:

Post a Comment