July 3, 2014

Feeling Flat at East Tosa. Last Day of ToAD

Goal to put Monk on the overall podium was a success!
East Tosa (Day 11. Roster: Matt, Clay, Max, Hogan, Cory, Brandon, Justin, Andy, Myself)

Even after my crash the previous day, I had the option to race again at East Tosa. After an early morning spin, I decided that I would go ahead and race to see what I can do. I vaguely remember East Tosa from 2013 as one of the harder days at Dairyland. A simple 4-corner criterium with a long uphill drag through the start/finish made things hard on the group. This does not even take into account the fact that this comes at the end of 11 days of racing.


The start of the race was tricky, as I forced my way up to the front. But tight turns and a more timid mindset was preventing me from getting in the position that I wanted. As the laps started to tick by, I found myself scrambling to try to get towards the front.  For every couple spots I moved up in position, I found myself going back just as many.  I looked up to see my team organizing on the front to try to bring back the early break, but I could not get up there to help. I felt like I just missed the school bus to class and was eagerly running after it, hoping to catch it at the next stop. As the peloton was splintering at the back, I could feel fewer and fewer riders riding behind me. I eventually went off of the back of the group with about 18 laps to go.

Beaten and bruised, I finally had a bad day at ToAD... at the last race. The effects of the crash were taking its toll a little bit more then I thought. Plus, it was the end of of a hard week of racing.


From here, I have a few days of rest before I head out to the National Championships in Madison!

No comments:

Post a Comment