July 28, 2013

Cascade 2013. My first shot with the best in the country.

The drive to Bend from Portland is
beautiful
When I found out that I was going to be racing the Cascade Cycling Classic I could not believe my ears. I have heard so many great things about this race, on top of the fact that it is one of the largest and the oldest NRC stage races in the country. Although I have done a few NCC criteriums, I have never done an NRC road race. Let alone a week long stage race. I found out that I would be racing with the Fire Fighters Cycling team along side my squadra teammate Shane. The two of us were super motivated to get some good results during this week of racing, especially after a bit of a lack luster U23 nationals. Although I was able to get in the early break of the u23 road race and have a good ‘ride’ I really wanted to walk away with some hardware.  Shane was in a similar boat, he had two great results with a 12 in the TT and a 7th in the crit. But without a medal to hang, there was a feeling of something missing.



Oregon is so beautiful

Leaving for Cascade was a bit of a weird feeling, I had just gotten back from a 2 week hiatus for dariyland and nationals. I found myself already packing and heading out the door 4 days after I got home. I guess this is a taste of what it feels like to be a professional athlete. Deep down I liked the hustle and bustle, I love seeing and discovering new places as I travel across the country. The plan was I was going to fly out of Houston July 14, get picked up in Portland by the host family that my team would be staying with for the week, then make the 3 hour drive to Bend once I find my bike and equipment. This would be my 3rd time coming to Oregon. In 2009 and 2010 Bend hosted the Jr and u23 national championships, which I was apart of in my early years as a Jr racer.
As I got off the plane my nose was quickly filled with the familiar smell of pine, and mountain air. I had a painless time finding my bikes, bags, and my hosts. Before I knew it we were on the road to Bend.

Once I made it to the Olsen’s home I quickly became familiar with my teammates for the week. The Fire Fighter roster would end up being: Shane, Berry Miller, Kennett Peterson, Johnathan Freter, Dillon Bennett, and myself. That second day we were in town, the day before the opening prologue, we went out for a nice little ride. We rode up the old nationals TT course. A course that reminded me of some of the worst time trials I would have my Jr years racing. We rode to the top of the course and back down. The whole time we were spending time getting to know each other… The next day would be the start of The Cascade Cycling Classic.


Prologue
Basically the prologue would be one lap around what was the 15-16 road race course that I raced back in 2009. Meaning it was going to be very fast, quick times, and no room for error. I was able to get in the warm up I wanted as well as show up to the line hot and ready to go. When I jumped out of the start gate I started in an all out sprint and quickly found my rhythm. When I finished 5 minutes later, sprinting through the line I was welcomed with the sound of my rear wheel rubbing my breaks and my frame. Not the sound I wanted to have for my start into my first NRC race.

Stage 1
Really thankful for the Olsen family for
opening their home to us
Going into the first stage I have been told that there is always a very bad crash on the long decent on the way to the base of the first major climb. With this knowledge I rode near the very back for a lot of the beginning of the race. The last thing I wanted to get tangled in a 40+ mph crash in the opening miles of a week long race. Sure enough when we were in the final kilometers heading towards the climb I was not in optimal position. I was in the half back of the field, as we hit the initial grades of the pass I found myself dealing with plenty of hard accelerations to try to stay with the pace. As time went on I could feel my breathing beginning to become uncontrolled. Before long I was gasping for air. I looked to my right and see a sign that says we were 2000 feet up. I knew the summit was close to 5200 feet. I looked back and saw that there was no one behind me. I became unglued from the group not long afterwards. A few others caught me and the three of us exchanged pulls and did our best to climb to the summit. As we came to crest another group caught us, which included Shane. By the KOM point we were up to 15 riders. We hustled down the decent. I could not stop thinking that I may not make the time cut my first race at the NRC level. As we came off the pass another large group caught us and we had a group that consisted of 30 some odd riders. We all worked well together till the base of the final climb. As the road started to pitch up with 10k to go I quickly became unglued and was solo. When the road pitched up to around 5 percent with about 5k to go I quickly found my rhythm and was able to catch back up to the group I was dropped from earlier, which was now shattered all over the climb. I finished 13 minutes down. Safely in the time cut.

Stage 2

Stage 2 was a time trial. Needless to say I had another sub par TT. I felt great on the way out, and actually went out saving quite a bit of energy for the way back. As I hit the turnaround I found myself unable to even hold the power I had put out on the way out. I eventually crossed the line out of breath and moved even farther down the GC. I was not happy, and I was feeling pretty disappointed in myself. My time trialing has felt out of place for almost 2 seasons now. Something I vow to work on this coming off season.

Mt. Bachelor
Stage 3.
This was a simple stage. Descend down Mt. Bachelor, do two laps around the reservoir, and climb back to the top. I felt that my legs were finally coming around during this stage. For the most part I was able to ride comfortably at the front. I was able to do a lot of things I have never done in a race before, including going back to the caravan for bottles for the team. The plan for the team was to keep Johnathan safe and near the front. He was having a great race so far and was sitting 21st in GC at the start of the stage. Only one minute outside of a top 10. As the race went on it was obvious that we were going to come to the climb in one group. With 8 kilometers to go Johnathan found me and told me to move him up, I gave it one big push on the right side of the peloton and was able to move him up about 15 positions before I faded back. Once we hit the base of the climb the group quickly shattered. I found as many people as I could and held on for dear life. Johnathan did his job and was able to make the first chase group with many of the big GC contenders. I rolled in with Barry and Kennett in a large group of close to 40 riders. I was finally feeling my legs come around.

Stage 4
King of Bend
I got very lucky with the start of the criterium. Lucky with the fact that they were only supposed to start the top 150 racers in GC, yet they decided to start everyone that finished stage 3. I was sitting 152nd in the overall. The crit was not too terribly hard. I could feel my legs getting stronger and stronger each day. I ended up rolling in with the pack, keeping myself out of trouble. As of now Johnathan is sitting 16th in GC

Stage 5
Shane and I
Today was the circuit, on a course that I am very familiar with. The course was the same loop that I raced on for the national championships when I was a 17-year-old racer. The plan was simple, protect Johnathan as much as possible on the early laps and by the end of the race he should be able to go with the super stars when the real attacks go. Throughout the stage the team did a great job. We all found each other in the closing kilometers before each major climb and was able to bring Johnathan to the front and protect him. This worked great for the first couple hours. I was also feeling the strongest that I felt all week.  Unfortunately at the end of the 3rd lap I got behind the wrong people at the wrong time and found myself closing gaps on the hardest part of the course. I quickly found myself off the back and trying to catch wheels, I never could quite caught them. I ended up pulling out at the end of a very lonely 4th lap. (the race was 5 long) I made my way to the finish and plopped down to await the finish of the rest of the race. I was later joined by Shane, who was having difficulty all day in the race and pulled out much like myself. As we waited for the race, we saw the leaders coming in. Johnathan was right up there with them. He did not lose anytime on his rivals. The best thing that we could have had happen.
A little post race brotherly competition
Haga style (Chad ended up 3rd overall for Optum)

As a team we had a fantastic week of racing. Johnathan moved up the 14th in the GC, 4th in the best young rider classification, and was the first placed amateur. I personally felt pretty disappointed in myself. I really wanted to be more of factor in this race. But I gave it my all. What more can I do? Each day I felt a little stronger and more confident racing with the pro US peloton. I will take away valuable experience from this race. Experience in terms of my first NRC stage race, my first 200+ person fields, my first mountain races, and my first week long race. I am really hoping to take this experience with me to other races coming up this fall, and the potential fitness boost from all the hard days racing with the best pro cyclist around.


No comments:

Post a Comment