July 28, 2013

USA Jr Devo Camp


Although this was a long while ago, I want to put in a few words about the USA camp that I had the honor of being a coach for.

For a week, I got to be a coach and the Dorm Daddy of a USA cycling Jr Development camp. What that meant is I got to make sure all the camp attendees went to bed on time and did not get into any trouble, as well as help out with drills and the rides/races that will all be going on.



I came to the camp a day late due to travel from fun times at Tulsa Tough, but I quickly got my room key and started moving into the amazing St. Edwards Dorm that I will be staying in for the rest of the week.
Within the first couple hours I had some Déjà vu kick in. It was back in 2008 I had been to a very familiar camp as a young 14 year old myself. And even 5 years later there were many of the same people that were helping run the camp. Ricky our mechanic was still there as well as Stefan. Both of these guys were there in 08 for me and they were still helping out in 2013. It felt great to be on the other side of the operation. To be giving back to the sport that I love so much. Seeing so many young racers be so excited to learn from what I have to say. To see young racers ask me questions and listen with excited anticipation of what I have to say really gave me something to look forward for each day. I do not remember too many specifics from the camp. Mostly because there were so many good experiences that they all seem to blend together.
When I rolled into camp in 2008
Ricky, Lawson, me, Zach, Blake, Karthauser
Between the grass drills, amazing food, comedy central, Wiffle Ball, and the driveway it’s hard to pick one thing that made the camp. It was just an experience all on its own. Unfortunately I got sick the second half of camp from the terribly cold air that was blowing on my face while I was sleeping. Really putting a damper on my mood for two days since I was too busy trying to get better, which took time away from hanging out with the campers.

My best memory about the camp would be when I asked the campers what their favorite part of the camp was. Some said the food, the races, but finally someone said "Michael Pincus". After that everyone turned to each other in agreement and they all said that I made the camp to them. It really brought a smile to my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment