August 12, 2013

HTX Team relay Ham Cycles summer Series. Allycat style racing in Houston!

The winning team (team drunkstrong) posing with Crystal


I got the invite from what would end up being my teammate for the event, Dan Morgan. He messaged me saying that there would be some sort of relay going on in downtown Houston. He said it would a little “for fun” event and he thought it would be a great idea for me to give it a try. He was right.


Going on Dad's birthday ride
Mapping out routes
That morning I woke up early after a late night with some friends to celebrate a birthday and decided to go on a wet Pearland group ride with my dad as part of his birthday, 65 miles and a pair of wet shoes later I finally made it home. I looked at the clock and I had about 2 hours to get ready for the relay. Since I was wet and grumpy from a late ride flat tire I did not feel like going back into downtown for the race. I hailed Dan with texts to try to figure out if the relay would be cancelled due to rain. After about an hour of figuring out the weather and a bowl of recovery pho, I decided I was going to go ahead and do it. I grabbed my old Pearland Cycling jersey and started to head north towards downtown.

As I got there I found Dan and the two of us walked to registration to sign in. We would end up being team “DP” for Dan-Pincus (keep jokes to yourself). Soon after we registered things become clear that this would end up being an “ally cat” race. Sort of like how the video game Midnight Club Racing used to be. We would be given a list of 10 checkpoints scattered all over the city. We would then have to go out and get a signature at these checkpoints. The first team to get all 10 checkpoints between the two riders and get back to the park the fastest would be the winner.


mandatory banana eating at first checkpoint
When the Checkpoints were released to us we had 15 minutes to map them out and make a plan to try to get to all the points as fast as possible. We quickly came up with the plan for me to go for the farthest one and then hit up 2 on the way back. Dan would get the other 7. From there we had to decided which routes would be the fastest and how to get across town. The format of the race reminded me of the Wooly Mammoth Provactorio I did back at the beginning of the year.(http://supersquadra.net/?p=4126)

Teams map out routes
The plan was set, all we had to do was go through with it. When the promoters said go it was a mad dash to our bikes. I quickly picked up my bike and was quickly sprinting down Elgin. I was with a group of about 5 who all decided to go the same basic way. Things started to get real when we all came up the first red light where I was starting to slow down, and was quickly past by the rest of the racers who sprinted full speed through the intersection. I followed. At this moment I realized I was going to have a lot more fun then I thought. I raced quickly behind a few others until I reached my turn that I had planned out earlier. I quickly bunny hopped on the sidewalk and made my turn to avoid getting behind stopped cars. I was on my own now. I spend the next half hour riding westward to my first checkpoint. Located by the beltway and I-10 on the far west side of town. It was not till I got within a few miles that I saw other racers from the relay starting to clump up near the checkpoint. As I arrived I was told I was the 3rd one there. I consumed a banana and started my way back into the town. Brian Menagez found me, and the two of us worked together till we were by 610 before splitting off on our own ways. At this point I could feel the fatigue of riding 65 miles in the morning in my legs. I knew that I had to keep going. I texted Dan telling him to just send me the addresses of my last two checkpoints to save me time from plugging them in my phone. In the time that it took me to get my first checkpoint Dan had already gotten all 7 of his and was waiting at the park for my return. My second and third checkpoints were within a mile of each other. I quickly got on Washington Ave heading east and found my 2nd checkpoint located on Summer Street. My third checkpoint was a little harder to find since the man I was looking for was hidden in a bar. I quickly texted Dan telling him I got all my signatures and was heading back to the park. He told me to take my time and that two teams have already came in.
Team Dolphin getting third

Dan and I getting third
rolling into third






















As I arrived into the park a sense of accomplishment came over me. I had finished my first downtown Houston ally cat race alive and on the podium. 32 miles on the computer put me close to 96 miles for the day. I found myself some cold drinks and relaxed. The guys and girl who beat me quickly teased me. They pointed out that they beat the big “cat 1” racer. I welcomed the humor. I was happy to be part of the event and glad Dan kept pestering me to go with him. Once all the teams have returned we had a small prize ceremony for the top 3 teams as well as the DFL placed team. I met a handful of new friends and was happy to experience a very hipster-feeling race in the middle of a city where most people do not get a young funky fresh vibe in.

I am glad I got to participate in this relay and plan to come out to more events in the near future.



Photo Curtesy to both Tyler Lopez and A.J. Martus


No comments:

Post a Comment