March 1, 2014

Feeling a bit jumpy at Pace Bend

Keeping a tab on the fast guys

After a rough day at Walburg I was hoping to get a little bit of relaxation the next day at Pace Bend, relaxation in terms of warm weather, and no yellow line rule. Pace Bend Park, like Walburg is always one of the top attended races of the season. What sets Pace Bend apart from many of the other Texas races is that it is located fully within the Pace Bend park allowing for the race to have full lane racing. Unlike the previous day where many racers were caught flirting with the yellow line, Pace Bend allows the full peloton to take up as much road as needed. This creates a type of racing that is more familiar with higher-level NRC races as well as allowing racers to be able to move around the pack more fluidly. This changes the dynamics of the race subtly and in my years creates a more enjoyable experience. Less rules to follow typically means one less things I have to think about during my race.



With a 12:30 in the afternoon start to the race I had plenty of time to prepare my equipment and my food for the day. However I was not prepared for the hot weather that was present that day. My phone was telling me that it was tickling 80 degrees and it was sunny. Although 80 degrees may seem like some cool Texas weather, it was a noticeable shock to the system compared to the icy weather that has been around for several months. I am keeping in mind that many of my new teammates are still riding in the snow up north where I do not believe the weather has even been inhabitable since November.


The race rolled out quickly and smoothly. I was very attentive at the start of the race. I was being a bit too attentive to early moves, I found myself following wheels of many early attacks and using a bit more legs then I should have. The course itself was not allowing any moves to get much separation.  The peloton was carrying too much momentum over the hills to allow a break to get the early separation needed to stay away to the finish. After a few laps of heavy aggressive riding my coach, David Wenger, found me and told me to stop riding like fool and to relax. I took his word and slinked to the back of the field and started to play the waiting game. I relaxed at the back of the field for almost next two hours. Within this time the field would stretch and balloon several times a lap, but the elastic never snapped. It was not till I saw the field break up into three groups on the road where I started to move up towards the front. As the three groups merged I put in a strong counter attack around the mushrooming peloton. I was quickly caught by Christian House (Rapha Condor), Heath Blackgrove (Boneshaker), Stefan Rothe (Elbowz), Ruarri (787) and Tristan Uhl (787). The six of us got in a quick rotation and started to pull away from the group. I was doing my mental checklist of what teams were in the group and who was representing those teams. I felt like it was a solid group and started to put some effort into opening the gap more. We were quickly chased and caught maybe a quarter lap later as we crested the start finish hill.  I faded towards the back and needed to rethink a plan on how to get the best result possible.


Eventually a group of two riders got off the front. These two riders will end up staying away for the first and second spots of the podium.  During the final laps of the race I was waiting eagerly to see which teams were going to go to the front and try to bring back the leaders. Much to my dismay I heard someone tell his teammates to call off the chase “We are racing for third now”. Disheartened I knew that the race was over. Before the start of the last lap I would try one solo move to try to get away from a baking and cramping pack, but the field was starting to rev up to get that third place spot. During much of the last lap I sat near the back of the group waiting till the final 5k to move up. When I started to move up I found a decent position near the front left side of the group. I knew that a safe finish would be the best thing for me. As we hit the final climb to the finish I sprinted with every bit of energy I had left. Much to my surprise many riders in front of me hit a wall. The heat was a little bit too much. I started to fly by many riders in my finishing sprint. I ended up finishing 21st. 


Can't tell if this is me pouting knowing teams gave up for 1st
or pouting cause I'm playing the waiting game
Patience. If there is anything that I need to work on, it is patience. I am doing too much work too early in many of these races, and it is resulting in my legs being a little too flat or non responsive towards the end of these races to get a result. Next race on the calendar is Lago Vista. A race where the riders who have worked hard in the off-season are rewarded. Hopefully I can repeat was I did here in 2011 and get the top step of the podium (Cat 2/3s)


List of how all races have been won so far…
  •       Omloop, field sprint ( I crashed out)
  •       Tour of New Braunfels RR, early break (I was saving my energy for the end and when I did finally stretch my legs it was too late to catch leaders. Got very close though)
  •       Walburg, mid race break where only part of stayed till the end (missed this move cause I was recovering after going way too hard at the beginning)
  •       Pace Bend, late race attack (No way I would have saw this sticking. And with the firepower that was left in the field I would have thought that this would have came back)
  •       Lago Vista Day 1???
  •       Lago Vista day 2???

Photos taken by Robert Mercado

No comments:

Post a Comment