April 10, 2014

Back in Texas with Charter Reserve Stage Race

Some of the best host housing all year. Yes we got massages!
After several weekends of traveling with the team to some big out of town races, I found myself in town and eager to test out some good form in some local Texas races. Luckily the Charter Reserve Stage Race would fall on my two-week break of travel. I raced in this race last year, and it was quickly becoming one of my favorite stage races in the state. The format of the Charter Reserve Stage Race (CRSR) is a road race, time trial, crit. Luckily I have always been spoiled here with some great host housing. Being able to really relax in between stages of a race can really make the difference needed in your recovery between stages.


Stage 1
The start of the road was very relaxed. Having a 32 person field (smallest field of  the year so far) made the need for a quick start unneeded. Mixed with the 7:30 am start that we had, I think most of the group was still asleep.

I knew I really needed to watch only handful of guys in this race. La’sport brought two strong guys with Matt Davis and Mire, Boneshaker had Heath and Sheehan, and Squadra had Dave and Grant. As the race started to unfold there were a few attacks on the first lap, but no one really wanted to commit to anything. As we approached the start of the second lap I heard that there was a crash at the back of the field. This crash included Heath. I gingerly sat in the field knowing that there would be no reason to make anything harder then needed this early in the race. The racers that crashed ended up catching the field at the start of the second lap before we started to get to one of the harder sections of the course. The attacks started to go down with Heath instigating after his chase back on. As I was following about 5 riders behind him I heard the familiar sound of a tubular flatting. I quickly looked up and saw Heath raise his hand. This time he was out for the rest of the race. The attacks at this point of the race were coming thick and quick. Many teams wanted to get in a break, and the pace did not lighten up till then. I was attentive going with the moves, making sure no gaps opened up. Eventually two guys got up the road. Mire from La’sport, and an Austin Mobile rider.

As the gap started to extend I knew that it was going to be a long shot to bring back the early break. This was from the fact that there were so few riders. No one would want to get a chase organized if it would mean taking away from his own opportunity to win. I took this fact into my hands and made sure to only attack. There was no chasing from me, I would use my efforts on the hills and the harder sections of the course. I was very aggressive at the start of each lap while the break was up the road. This was the only part of the course were the road was going upward for more then just a minute or two. Several times I was able to get separation from the pack. I knew I needed one more engine if I was going to get across to the leaders. Who at this point were still out of sight.

I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a 10 person rotation at the front end of the pack at the end of the third lap and the start of the last lap. I heard the announcer say that we were within 30 seconds of the leaders. This was only good news. I knew we had the momentum with this rotation and we could see the leaders up the road.


However, the moment we started that last lap, it was as if the fight was drained from the legs of the chasers. Suddenly I found myself in a 3 man rotation. Grant, Sheehan, and I. The sudden lack of chase from the pack made me a little frustrated. I have no idea why some people bring back 45 seconds in half a lap working in a large rotation, all of sudden stop working when the break gets in sight.

As the break started to pull away again I patiently waited till the harder section of the course. I would try one more hard effort and if I cannot get across to the leaders I would sit in for the sprint. When I attacked, I did open up a nice gap and started to bridge across to the leaders. But once the climb turned to a decent I was slowly reeled in by a handful of riders who were more interested in bringing me back, instead of the leaders. I went to the very back of the pack. Last wheel. Here I would sit saving my legs for the bunch sprint to the line.


About halfway through the last lap I saw a second rotation of about 8 riders start riding at the front. I let them do their thing. I had given up on chasing the leaders. We should have caught them many miles ago when we had a nice large rotation at the start of the last lap.


During the final 5k of the race things started to pick up. I rode heads up and started to move up towards the front of the group. Michael Sheehan at this point has flown the coop and started a solo flyer for the line. As he was riding away from the confused pack and I found myself near the front. I stayed out of the wind as best as I could and made sure to not get behind anyone that looked like they may cause an accident. As riders were jockeying for position we were picking up speed. And with about 1k to go we caught one of the riders who was in the lead group all race. At this point I knew I was sprinting for 3rd and a podium. As we made it to the final 225 meters of the race I found myself sitting 2nd wheel, with a slight up hill to the finish I was a little closer to the front then I wanted. At this point I could feel the field breathing down my neck. I decided it would be better to sprint earlier then wait. I opened my sprint a moved to the right side of the road. I looked under my armpit and could see the shadow of the field slowly coming around me. I kept the cadence as high as I could and kept pushing for the line. I eventually kept everyone at bay and won the field sprint. This put me in third in GC. Mire won with about a 30 second lead, Sheehan finished in front of me by about 5 seconds.

TT
The results after TT
The charter reserve TT is one of my favorite time trials in the state. It is short, simple, and very fast. I was very motivated to win this TT. I have not done a good time trial at any race since 2012 and wanted to see what I can do. I made sure to get a proper warmup and my bike was ready to roll. The only thing that was not working was my SRM head unit. I was going blind. No speed, no time, no cadence, no power.

The TT went very well for me. I gave it a good go. As I crossed the finish line I feel like I could have went maybe a little bit harder in the final mile. But I knew I put in a great time.
I would find out that night that I got in a three way tie for first. Wenger, Sheehan, and I all did our times in 11:41.  Unfortunately they gave me the short end of the stick and gave me third place out of the bunch.

Criterium

They would end up canceling the Sunday criterium because of the lightening and thunder that would encompass most of the day. I was ready to race, There is nothing I like more then a good wet criterium, and I felt like I could have moved up a single place in GC if we raced in the rain. However racing in the storm that was happening would have been impossible. I wound end up keeping my third in GC for the stage race.

3rd in RR, 3rd in TT, 3rd in GC.
I was really hoping to turn one of those 3rds into a first. Especially in that time trial. But Its amazing what a little bit of consistent training (no exams for a few weeks) and a week off of travel can do to the legs on a weekend. This would end up being my first real result for myself this season. I am going to take this with confidense as I continue on with the long race season ahead. Next race will be the Charlotte-Belmont Omnium in North Carolina.


No crit got me home early to hang out in China town
with the one and only Alan (Ting). This is my post dinner dog
hypnotism




No comments:

Post a Comment