November 5, 2014

Heat and a Sinus Infection at Chappell Hill RR

A very rare field sprint at Chappell Hill
(Photo By Robert Spangle)
Going into my eighth edition of Chappell Hill (I’m a veteran of this race), I already harbored feelings of anger and frustration.  In 2012 – which happened to be my 19th birthday – I caught a flat right at the winning Move

of the Day. The follow vehicle was out-of-sight, and I angrily DNF’d as a result. In 2013, I flatted out in the first 12-miles, before the race even picked up speed. I chased hard after getting a wheel change, in vain. So I DNFed again…my second DNF in just as many years.

2014 would be a different – I was racing solo without teammates, but I also was fighting a bad lingering sinus infection I acquired a few weeks earlier in rainy Belgium. I knew if I had a chance of getting a top result here, I had to be smart and, more importantly, patient with my efforts. Both Texas teams Boneshaker and Super Squadra (SS) would be bringing fully stacked rosters to the race, each with several guys who had the ability to win the race. I knew that I was going to have to play off their efforts to be in the money.


The start of the race was a slow one as a rider flatted in the neutral mile leaving town, causing everyone to sit up more so than usual. Two riders went up the road, including SS rider Grant Koontz. I patiently waited in the (larger than normal) field, hoping that the leash to the early break would not get too big.

It was not till the end of the first lap when the fireworks started to go off. Logan Hutchings from Boneshaker did a very ballsy attack at the start of the Feed Zone. Luckily, the neutral water hand off made it easy for me to quickly grab a bottle while following his wheel. Once the dust settled, I was front row in hearing all the yelling and anger from all the racers who missed a bottle because of Logan's attack. After that, the pack would take the next few laps very gingerly through the feed zone, and they should. Early September heat at this race is dangerous to mess around with.

We eventually caught the early break on either the second or the third lap. Koontz flatted, and his break-away partner was brought back into the fold a few miles later. I remained patient as the laps progressed. I knew that it was not going to be until we made our way to the finish line that I needed to flex my muscles to get a result.

As we turned left at the Feedzone to head back, I knew I needed to pay attention to every single person that went up the road. I watched as I saw attacks go on the long shallow climb we were fighting over. I followed closely to every move. I made sure to get no closer than 8th wheel to the front. I was close enough to always be able to jump after any moves, and far enough back that the severity of the attacks won’t be as draining on my legs.
Contemplating what is for lunch
(photo by Robert Spangle)

As the heavy hitters started to roll out with the attacks, I was calm and made sure to be smart with my efforts. I found that Kevin Girkins, Hutchings, and Heath Blackgrove were all being animators at this point in the race. A handful of times I found myself getting separated with these guys off the front. However, there was always an eager chase coming from the pack and we were never able to get more then 10 seconds off the front. It was not until we were within 5 km from the finish where I threw an attack of my own. This one brought out David Wenger of SS.  Again, we were quickly brought back by a hungry peloton. With about 1000 meters to go, I was locked in at the front of the pack, meaning I was going to have to start my sprint early if I was going to make it through the deceiving final 400 meters of Chappell Hill. Blackgrove started the sprint at the base of the finishing hill with Wenger on his wheel. I jumped after, and was trying to close the gap on Wenger. As the hill flattened out, my legs started to lock up from a very aggressive final 10 miles. I lost Wenger’s wheel in the final 200 meters opening the gap for 2 more riders to get in between me and the winner (Heath). I wound up finishing 5th on the race.


Considering I have not finished this race since my 9th place in 2011, 5th place was solid. Although I was aiming higher, cramps from the hot weather and a sinus infection held me back. The next and final race of the calendar was the Texas State Road Championships at the end of the month. Just enough time to let the antibiotics run their course and do some training.

No comments:

Post a Comment