June 8, 2016

OKC PRO AM Day 1, 15th Place!

Spangle back at it again with the race pics!
oooo the start line artistry 
With the success of memorial weekend still fresh on everyone’s minds, we were ready to head up to Oklahoma for some crit racing. Unlike the races we have been doing all season, the OKC PRO AM was part of the PRT calendar (or the first day was) and was bringing in a higher caliber field. Although many of the team names were familiar, there was an added twist with several pairs of new and old faces toeing up to the start lines.


After a pretty quick drive up from Houston with Corey Meeks of Shama Cycles, I was greeted by blue sky and my teammates… Although the sky has always been blue, the recent rain in Houston would make you think otherwise.

As the sun started to set, the whole OKC squad found each other and we were warming up in the center of the course. GIANT Racing for OKC included: Beau E, Bret C, Scott V, Matt G, and myself. As we were warming up I took note of the uphill and the downhill section of the course. When I was told there was a hill out there, I did not expect there to be a climb from turn 2 to turn 3. It was not the little bump in the road that I thought it was going to be, this bump would make a difference in how the race was going to unfold. I was more excited about the hill than most of the racers who were there.

The race started off fast as any PRT field does and I quickly found my rhythm near the front of the pack. I knew the two teams that would be constantly sending guys up the road would include Elbowz and Arapaho. Sure enough the attacks came quick and almost at a steady rate. I found myself able to stay close and comfortably near the front. Despite being in a car all day, and not able to get a morning spin in, the legs were responding well to the jumps. As the laps ticked down I could see more and more small groups were getting off the front, and then slowly being brought back into the fold. There were a few times that I followed the wheels from the attacks of others and found myself off the front. But despite how big of a gap anyone got, the field was quickly able to bring anything back.

As we got into 5 laps to go, I knew the free laps were up and that we were entering the dangerous part of the races. I kept an eye on anyone trying to get around me, and would use the hills on course to help hold my position from other riders. As the laps started to countdown and small group of riders were able to get a gap and were riding away for the win. I did what I could to stay near the front, sadly I knew that any chance of a win evaporated with the late race move riding away.
 The final lap started and I was where I wanted to be, I was sitting probably 3rd wheel in the line and the speed was fast. As we got through turn 1 my fear of the field slowing down started to come true and I started to sense that the jump was going to happen. I choked up on the bars a little and saw that there were riding starting to pass me on the right side. I accelerated to get on their wheels, and was surprised I accelerated a little too hard and found myself first wheel going into turn 2. At this moment I knew I had only one thing to do, and start the sprint early. If I tried to fade back on the hill, I would be swarmed too bad and might not able to come back around to get the result. I kicked hard at the base of the hill and started to accelerate. Part of me was hoping that one or two riders would pass me by the crest so I could jump on their wheels to then get a result. However, I was stuck on the front leading it out up the hill. I made the turn the right hand turn in utter darkness at the top and started the plummet to the final turn and the finish line. It was not till halfway down that road the sprint opened up and I was passed on the right hand side by a handful of riders. As we approached the final corner at break neck speeds I stood up and gave it one last jump to the line.

I would find out afterwards that I would finish 15th on the day. I was actually surprised I still managed to finish this high up despite the break staying away as well as starting the sprint with half a lap to go. Great race and a great venue to open up the OKC PRO AM Criteriums.


Day 2 would be a dead flat figure 8 course

No comments:

Post a Comment